A new program beginning in 2016 will reduce the electricity bills of low-income customers.
If you are a customer of an electric utility and in a lower income home, you may qualify for a reduction on your electricity bill through the Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP). It’s also available to customers of unit sub-meter providers and retail energy companies.
Beginning in 2016, the OESP will reduce the cost of your household electricity by applying a monthly credit directly to your bill.
The amount of the credit depends on two factors:
- how many people live in the home and
- your combined household income.
If your home is electrically heated, or you rely on medical devices requiring a lot of power, OESP offers a higher level of assistance. First Nations and Métis will also qualify for a higher level of assistance.
- Gather up the following:
- Your electricity bill
- Names and birthdates of all the residents in your home as registered with the Canada Revenue Agency
- Social Insurance Numbers (SINs), Individual Tax Numbers or temporary taxation numbers for residents over the age of 16.
- Visit the website: OntarioElectricitySupport.ca
- Complete the online application (you will see it on the home page). Print and sign the consent form and mail it to the address provided on our website.
You will be notified of eligibility after your application and signed consent form have been reviewed.
If eligible, the credit will appear directly on your electricity bill in about 6 to 8 weeks from the date of approval. You will receive OESP for 2 years before having to reapply.
Note: If you have not filed an income tax return recently, or if your situation has changed since you last filed, you can apply for OESP through a local intake agency. You will need to bring all of the documents listed in Step 1 above, plus proof of your household income.
Hours of Operation: 8:00am – 9:00pm
Phone number:1-855-831-8151 TTY:1-800-855-1155 (TTY to TTY)
Mailing Address:Ontario Electricity Support Program PO Box 1540, Stn. B, Ottawa, ON K1P 0C7