Pieces to Pathways (P2P) is a peer-led initiative creating Canada’s first ever substance use support program for LGBTTQQ2SIA youth 16-29 years old in Toronto.
P2P will be running 2 substance use support groups for LGBTTQQ2SIA youth between the ages of 16 to 29 years old that are interested in exploring and/or changing their substance use patterns. The groups will utilize a Motivational Interviewing (MI) framework to aid participants in identifying changes they would like to make and how to make those changes.
This group is for people that:
- Wish to either reduce their substance use or minimize associated harms
- Try to become abstinent or maintain their abstinence
Description of P2P Substance Use Support Groups:
P2P is looking for participants that are LGBTTQQ2SIA-identified, between the ages of 16 to 29 years old and are concerned about their substance use.
P2P will be running 2 substance use support groups:
- 1 for participants interested in reducing their use or minimizing harms associated to their use
- 1 for participants interested in becoming abstinent or maintaining their abstinence
Both groups will be 8 weeks long, running between January to March 2016. Participants are expected to attend all 8 sessions. Dinner and light refreshments will be served for each session and tokens are available for participants.
These groups will allow participants to explore the role alcohol and/or other drugs play in their lives and communities. Participants will have the opportunity to share their experiences and struggles, develop strategies for change, and build community in a supportive environment exclusively for queer and trans youth.
What to Expect:
- A safe, supportive, confidential environment
- A community of LGBTTQQ2SIA youth to share and witness your concerns
- LGBTTQQ2SIA-identified group facilitators with their own histories of substance use and recovery
- Space to share your experiences
- An appreciation of the ways in which your intersecting identities and experiences may impact your substance use
- Practical support to enable you to make the changes you choose to make
Dates, times and location:
The abstinence group will meet every Tuesday between January 27 and March 17.
The harm reduction group will meet every Thursday between January 29 and March 19.
All groups will take place from 6 to 8 PM at Breakaway Addiction Services, 21 Strickland Ave., Toronto.
The first floor of building is wheelchair accessible. There are gendered washrooms and an all gender single stall wheelchair accessible bathroom with grab bars but no push-button entrance.
How to Apply: If you are interested in participating in or would like to learn more about the groups, please email, call or text P2P.
> > The deadline to apply is Friday January 15, 2016. < < <
If you would like more information about P2P, please visit any of our social media outlets or website.
Email: < firstname.lastname@example.org >
Facebook: Pieces to Pathways