Did you know 1 in 8 Canadians report not having enough food?
According to the Ontario Association of Food Banks, 32% of people getting their food from food banks are children. Hunger and poverty are very serious issues in this city.
Fortunately, you have the power to help.
Whether you’re physically strong, a people person, a hygiene-conscious person, or a super-organizer, Syme Woolner’s Food Bank has a volunteer position for you!
With the help our of awesome volunteers, Syme Woolner’s food bank provides about 80 hungry families in Toronto each month with non-perishable foods, fresh fruits and vegetables, baby food, and even pet food. Our working environment is one of love, laughter, and fulfilment.
As a food bank volunteer, your responsibilities may include any of the following:
- Registering clients for food bank appointments
- Taking inventory of stock
- Preparation of food hampers
- Food shelving and organization
- Unloading food donations from trucks
- Obtaining items from cupboards, food room, and fridges
- Shelf rotation and checking dates to ensure freshness of items
- Maintaining a clean, safe, and organized work area
- Collapsing boxes for recycling
- Ensuring that clients’ other needs are met (e.g. directing them to staff who can help)
- Opening and locking the food bank
- Recording statistics of food bank use and keeping accurate notes
- Preparing monthly reports and supply requests
We are located on Eglinton Ave near Keele St. The time commitment for these positions is Thursdays from 8:30 am to 2 pm and/or Fridays from 8:30 am to 1 pm. Some positions may require a Public Health Food Handler’s Certificate.
You will be fully trained in your role and staff will be on hand to assist you at all times.
Please call Syme Woolner main reception at 416-766-4634 or e-mail Volunteer Coordinator Tanika Hewitt at email@example.com discuss how we can use your skill set to help feed hungry families in Toronto.