St. Stephen’s Community House – L.L. Odette Place
POSITION: On-Call Superintendent of L.L. Odette, Live-in Position
REPORTS TO: Manager, Housing and Homeless Services
SCHEDULE: On an on-call basis, evenings and weekends
LOCATION: 260 Augusta Avenue, Toronto, ON, M5T 2L9
Posting Date: May 3, 2016
Closing Date: May 11, 2016
L.L. Odette Place, opened in 2002, provides 13 units of supportive housing for men with a history of homelessness and mental health. Along with 13 large single units, Odette has a modern kitchen/lounge, accessible bathrooms, a rooftop deck and laundry facilities. Residents receive case management services, referrals to other social services and community support. They also have access to the services offered in the Corner Drop-in.
The Superintendent receives a free room with private bathroom in exchange for light on-call Superintendent duties for a 12 unit supportive housing project. Duties include a daily building security check, responding to disturbance issues and minor maintenance issues and calling full time staff in the event of an emergency. This is a position reserved for consumer/survivors of the mental health system.
- Service Responsibilities:
- As a live-in, on call tenant of the Supportive Housing Program, the Superintendent works with the Manager, Housing and Homeless Services to ensure the safety and maintenance of L.L. Odette Place. This includes nightly security checks of doors, alarm systems and public areas; allowing access to the building for contractors after hours for necessary repairs or cleaning as arranged by full time staff team.
- The Superintendent will direct non-urgent requests to daytime staff and contact on call staff for emergency situations overnight, weekend and holidays.
- The Superintendent will contact Emergency Medical Services (EMS) when needed and work with EMS personnel in the event of an emergency.
- The Superintendent will carry a cellular phone to reach tenants and staff.
- The Superintendent will be friendly, supportive presence in Odette and assist tenants to resolve minor disputes.
- The Superintendent will participate actively on tenant committees and house meetings.
- Organizational Responsibilities:
- Participate in monthly tenant meetings; and actively participate in supervisory meetings.
- Respect the privacy of tenants and ensure confidentiality is maintained on all tenant matters, as it pertains to the Residential Tenancies Act.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This is position reserved for consumer-survivors of the mental health system.
- Strong verbal communication skills and knowledge of minor maintenance repairs. Ability to communicate clearly with contractors.
- Ability to work in a multicultural/multiracial organization and a dynamic community based setting with marginalized individuals.
- Ability to stand, walk, climb stairs, lift, push and carry.
- Ability to function in an environment that is not smoke-free
- Successful completion of a current police record check.
- Salary: Free room with private bathroom and monthly cellular phone. This position is not covered under collective agreement
Please send resume and cover letter to Caroline Jemmott, Manager Housing and Homeless Services at email@example.com
St. Stephen’s Community House is dedicated to achieving a workforce that is reflective of the communities we serve.