- You feel safe to open up and talk
- You feel supported
- You can learn, give, and receive
- You can laugh and share in laughter
- You can make friends
- You can be a leader too (i.e. you can take on responsibilities in the group)
- You feel safe to address feelings of tension or conflict as they arise
- You can leave the group or rejoin when you want (i.e. you know that the group will be sensitive to any health/life challenges that might make it difficult to attend each and every group)*
- You and other members are supported to grow and graduate from the group (i.e. the group creates formal and informal opportunities to celebrate your growth)
- You notice that the group allows its members to continually evaluate and make changes to the group, as its members change and/or develop
- You know that it feels right for YOU
To find out more about peer support groups please contact the Self-Help Resource Centre.
*Note: This is in reference to open groups (i.e. open to the public) and not closed groups (i.e. private by invitation only).